Monday, February 4, 2013

Gotcha Day

Monday, January 28th 2013 a day we will never forget.  It will forever be etched in my mind along with Sunday, 04/14/02, Monday,09/20/04 and Monday, 08/13/07 the day I gave birth to my precious babies. 

We woke up early, we were so nervous and excited.  We got ready, had breakfast and met our guide in our hotel lobby for the 30 minute van ride to the Civil Affairs Office in Changsha.  My heart was pounding as the van came to a stop and our guide said "We are here are you ready to meet your new baby?"

We walked in the building and made our way to the 5th floor.  We were then told to wait in a room with another family. I immediately, along with the other mother who was with us, went to the window to watch and see if I could see his car pull up.  And then all of a sudden there he was...............



I knew it was him as soon as I saw him. I thought they would never make it in the building and up to the room we were waiting in, it was the longest 2 minutes of my life!  We watched as two women made their way into the room with him.  I didn't know what I was allowed to do, could I take him from her immediately like I wanted to or did I have to wait? They arrived earlier than expected so our guide was not back in the room with us yet.  No one gave us directions or rules so I just went for it and as you can see in the video I obviously wasn't supposed to take him from her just yet!

 
 
 
 

 
I was very surprised when he didn't cry when I took him from his "care giver's" arms.  I kept waiting for him to start screaming and to see the look of fear in his eyes.  Minutes went by and still he was calm and there were no tears.  All I could think about was the many prayers that have went up on our behalf for him. I was so in awe of God at that moment, He was there and he had us in the palm of his hand. You see only God can connect a child to his two parents that have lived a half a world away from him for all of his life.
 
I can't even begin to put into words what it was like to hold Adler for the first time.  This is the child that God had placed in our hearts more than 5 years ago.  This is the child that we have prayed for, longed for and shed many tears for.  This journey was not easy but oh was it worth it. When I looked in his eyes for the first time I saw his future, his role as the little brother in our family of six.  Our family is so blessed to call him ours. 
 
 
 
 
 
Psalm 68:5-6
Father to the fatherless, defender of widows-
this is God, whose dwelling is holy.
God places the lonely in families;
he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy.
But he makes the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment